Sunday, August 24, 2014

Second Thoughts

I spoke with Lacy yesterday about my non-profit idea and the plan to take this year to try to get it started. She raised some major concerns, which I’ve been mulling over. Most of them are things that have occurred to me – like it being a terrible economic climate to try to raise funds, difficulty in this real estate market in finding a useable space at a reasonable rate, but she had some additional concerns that are really making me pause.

The thing that worries me most about this idea is that I don’t have the training or educational background; maybe if I’m serious about this I should be going to grad school. I’ve thought of that, I just am not convinced it’s necessary and I’m eager to get started. Lacy’s opinion is the opposite. And I value Lacy’s opinion. I know it would be a big advantage to have a stronger background in childhood development, but do I need an entire graduate degree? I’m feeling pretty uncertain about everything right now.

It’s hard to be certain of anything in the midst of upheaval though, right? Going from full time work to free time all the time, from a private small apartment to a large house where you will randomly run into people – some of whom are family and some of whom are staff, it’s a lot of change. And tomorrow Lacy and I are going to have a seriously uncomfortable talk with Dad about…. More change.

No comments :

Post a Comment