Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tips for Avoiding Reality

My original plan for the year was to come to Dad’s and let him support me while I try to launch my non-profit. I’m being honest here – I could avoid mentioning the fact that I’m mooching off Dad, but I’m not. It’s true. I’m taking advantage of having a family I can crash with and whose food I can eat. I couldn't realistically pursue this idea otherwise. Working full time doesn't leave enough time or energy to start something new. So as much as it pains me to give up my independence and return home, I am very grateful that I have this option.

With the new plan to go to Bath (assuming we can rent the house), I've been wondering what I should do. Maybe this is another sign that my idea of starting a non-profit is ill-timed, like Lacy said.

Whenever I am faced with a problem I want to avoid, I escape into a good book. Initially, after losing my editing job, I found I couldn't think about books at all. Physically picking up a book was so tied to work that it just wasn't possible to relax doing it. I'm a bit further removed now, and because I don't think about book-related things all day long, I can finally read for pleasure again, which is wonderful. I missed that escape. There was a point not long ago when I would critique every book I picked up – and I would critique things like font choice, binding, cover art, copy editing. That's a really powerful way to make it hard to enjoy a story, fyi.

In addition to reading for fun, I also discovered some wonderfully entertaining BookTubers (vloggers on youtube who discuss books), including my latest favourite: The Book Junkie. She's pretty awesome. Her enjoyment of fiction is infectious. You should check her out – she will lead you to good books which might help distract you from that hard decision you should be making. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

No comments :

Post a Comment