Friday, September 19, 2014

Diversion

Did I mention I started reading a book for fun? I haven’t done that in a long time, since reading manuscripts was part of my old job and didn't leave much time or energy for fun reading. Reading was about staying current on the market, not about fun and relaxation. It has been very nice to regain fiction as an escape.

I’m reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - a friend and I picked it to read so we could have an excuse to meet up and get nerdy over some fiction.  I'm flying through it (I don't think she's started  yet) and really enjoying it.  I love stories that explore the alternate paths life can take. Sliding Doors is a movie example of that - I'm a sucker for it.  Whenever I travel I can't help but wonder - if I had caught that train/ferry/taxi that I just missed, would my life be materially different? Then there are all the paths not taken - what if I had gone to business school instead of getting an English degree?  

Am I the only one who spends a large chunk of time thinking about these things? The alternate universe versions of me who are all living different lives?


2 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed Life After Life also! I think it's impossible to avoid thinking about what life would have been if you had done things differently... so many decisions that shape our lives, so many ways to live a life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on the link to the book, and wow, it sounds super interesting! Maybe my local library will have it. I'll add it to my 'to-read' collection. :)

    As for the whole wondering about you in an alternate universe, I wonder as well. But I'm satisfied and happy with the life I have and I know that things work out the way they're supposed to even if we don't see it at the moment or understand. :)

    ReplyDelete