Saturday, September 20, 2014

Packing. Again

Dad and Elizabeth left several days ago for Bath* to house-hunt and I have been busy prepping things here for the Crofts to take possession. I’m clearing out closets, packing up the items that are to be moved to storage, inventorying the stuff that is staying, and trying to prepare myself for the pain of handing over my family home to strangers.

It’s good that I have a hard deadline for getting this done, otherwise I might get moody and overly sentimental. Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't even live here - funny that it could bother me so much to rent the house out. I guess it’s always been the base for the family, a constant presence, and a safety net, one that holds some very happy memories.

Dad and Elizabeth have happily been quite restrained in what they are planning to move over to the new place in Bath, although Elizabeth’s wardrobe alone is bigger than you can imagine. I’m tempted to take 1/3 of her wardrobe boxes and put them in storage and see if she even notices.

Unexpectedly, Beth took Clara with her to Bath. Clara is a new friend of Beth’s, she is Mr. Shepard’s daughter. Despite being Beth’s age, she is a widow - her husband died in a car crash about a year ago and she moved back here to her father’s. I suppose it’s very good of Elizabeth to offer her company and distraction, but I have a weird feeling that that is not Elizabeth’s motive here. Clara gets along very well with Dad and Elizabeth - she is able to flatter them each in the way that is most pleasing to them. She is much better at pleasing and humouring them than I am, actually. Anyway, Clara will be staying with my family until… well, I don’t know when, actually. Until I get there, I suppose?

Anyone want to come over and help me sort though 20 years of accumulated random office drawer contents? I've included a photo of some of the exciting relics you may find!

*Not actually Bath

3 comments :

  1. I don't envy you - packing up a home that has never been packed up is a daunting task. I remember moving out of the house I grew up in - there was just so. much. stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I had to move last year and packing was truly the worst. It's when you pack that you realize you accumulate so much stuff! But it's also a bit freeing because you also let go and throw away from things you realize you don't need.

    Funny that you link Bath because I visited Bath when I went to England for my honeymoon last year. It was such a beautiful day when I was there and we drove by the Crescent and saw the Roman baths, and even had an ice cream. It was loads of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole - totally agree, it's a hard process, but so good to get rid of stuff that's just taking up space. Sounds like you had a lovely time in Bath - I've never been to the real Bath, maybe one day! Typing it out all the time is making me think about it a lot. lol

      Delete