Friday, September 12, 2014

School?

Lacy sent me a bunch of links to various grad school programs she thinks might be good for me given the non-profit idea I have. I looked at them and they do seem very interesting - but they are 2-3 year programs and that seems sooooo long, and the academic rigor of a masters seems like overkill for what I want to do. Also, exhausting. But Lacy could be right - if I don't have some credentials behind me, how will I convince people to support my program, how will I make sure my program is designed based on sound, tested principles? 

Am I just being lazy? Trying to avoid school, like a kid? I don't want to take a shortcut and ultimately fail because of it. I do love the idea of going and studying the subject deeply, I love the idea of really knowing a subject. Although... based on my educational experiences to date, it may just serve to teach me how much there is to know and show me that I have but scratched the surface of a subject.

Sometimes school is the answer, and sometimes real world experience is the answer. How do you know?

1 comment :

  1. Personally, I looooved grad school. But I think it depends a lot on your program, your classmates, and your profs. Not a decision to make lightly, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete