Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Jungle Adventures - by Proxy

Mary was miraculously better this morning. And what timing, since we've been invited to an evening gathering at the Lodge. The Musgroves have some friends visiting so it should be a nice night. I'm going a bit stir crazy up here, it will be nice to meet some new people!

I've been light on blog posts lately because I have been obsessing over my project brief that I'm writing to send to my old professor & her colleague. It's a summary of my non-profit literacy program idea - the general gist of the program, objectives, program elements, etc. They are expecting it in their inboxes on Friday. I am trying to get it down to three pages and it's killing me to cut so much - I want to cram in references to all the research I've done. It's the opposite problem compared to most university writing situations where you are making margins wider and increasing line spacing to make the document look long enough.  At one point yesterday I had convinced myself that a 10pt font document was acceptable.  (It's not, right?)

It will be wonderful to email this document out and get it off my mind. And to receive some professional feedback!

…..

I failed to publish my earlier post, so you get this longer one.

I've just returned from the Lodge. It’s late but I’m not sleepy. It was a wonderful night. The Musgroves' friends turned out to be two women, a couple just returned from several months of research in the field. They both study zoology. It was fascinating to hear them talk about it; they had amazing stories about life in the jungle while on expedition - crazy things happen in the jungle! Also: malaria!

It was great to meet two people who are so enthusiastic about what they do and who are out living their dream. The evening flew by! Lousia entertained everyone with her new piano piece. We played cards. But mostly, we talked. It’s about the best you can ask for, really - good company and interesting conversation.

I am unable to sleep, maybe because of the stories about wild jungle animals chasing people through the wilderness, or maybe because I am busy puzzling over why it is so rare to have such a good night and so rare to meet people who have found their passion and are living it.

No comments :

Post a Comment