Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New But Familiar Surroundings

I'm someplace new! This morning I met Lacy for coffee and a good chat and then drove up to Mary’s.

I will see Lacy again at Christmas and we will head to Bath together after. I really enjoyed having more time to spend with her since I moved home. I always chat with her regularly and email tons, but there’s something about seeing someone in person that is just better. When we met for lunch the other day, she arrived late, I could see her scanning the cafe for me and her face lit up when she found me - seeing someone happy at the sight of you is the kind of thing that nourishes the soul. I didn't quite realize how much I’d been missing that.

So where am I now?

I’m in a somewhat secluded area that shall not be mentioned, in a very cute and comfortable cottage. (Can you call a 3 bedroom plus office house a ‘cottage’? For some reason we do.) Mary and her husband (Charles) and their three year old son are up here for the winter.

We are near a popular skiing area and it is lovely here in winter. It’s rather isolated - a 25 minute drive to the nearest pub or store, and two hours to the city, so when here one generally spends a lot of time going for walks alone and hanging out with all the family.

Mary’s husband is a lawyer - he works from home and spends a lot of time golfing. His family is quite well off and he will inherit a business and a legacy when his dad passes away, so there’s never been much pressure to develop a big career.Charles’ parents own all this land, including the cottage and the main lodge. They like to spend the fall and winter here when they can. It’s big enough that their various children and siblings and friends can come to stay. They like to have as full a house as possible. I've spent time here before and Charles’ family has been very welcoming. I feel quite at home here.

[I've added to the list of who’s who here to help you follow along. ]

When I arrived at the cottage, I found Mary laying on the sofa, ‘ill’. This is not unusual.

Mary, barely able to lift her head from the pillow: “Anne, thank god, I thought you’d never come! I’ve been so sick all day and everyone just left me here. No one has checked up on me since this morning! And I feel so terrible.”

Me: platitudes and cheerfulness

Mary: “You would think Louisa or Reitta would have called or texted or something to see how I was feeling, they know I’m unwell. And why didn’t you come earlier? I thought you were coming yesterday?” [Louisa and Reitta are Mary’s sisters-in-law.]

Me: “I said in my email that I would arrive today. And here I am to help make you better! Can you eat something?”

Mary: “Oh no, I haven’t been able to eat since yesterday, I’m too sick. You know Charles left me here to go golfing!”

Mary continued complaining for a while, absentmindedly following my lead and snacking on some cheese and crackers from the tray that Charles left for her.

With enough cajoling and distractions and forced cheerfulness on my part, Mary perked up considerably. I consider it a point of pride that I’m able to sometimes get Mary to stop being silly and get on with things. This time, I talked her into going for a short walk to get some fresh air and visiting at the lodge so I could say hi to everyone.

The Lodge is exactly what you want a ski lodge to be, a great wooden chalet building with a giant living room with a substantial fireplace. The Musgroves almost always have someone staying with them; it’s a rotating door of visitors. They welcomed me warmly, like they always do.

I’m glad to be here.

No comments :

Post a Comment