Monday, November 10, 2014

Get A Grip

I am a horrible person - I've been made happy by the injury of my nephew.

We were all scheduled to have dinner at the Lodge tonight with Wentworth as the special guest. The Musgroves met him last week in town and invited him over for tonight’s dinner. I was to go tonight too, of course.

I dreaded the dinner all day long. I thought up a thousand excuses to avoid going, but in the end I decided I should just get it over with. If Wentworth is going to be in the area for a while, then I will have to see him, I will have to learn how to be unaffected by his being around.

About two hours before dinner my nephew got into some mayhem outside while Charles wasn't looking and managed to fracture his arm! He went to the hospital and has been bandaged up and will be fine. Mary was in hysterics when it happened but recovered enough to want to still go to the dinner.

It was arranged that I would stay with my nephew while Mary and Charles went to dinner. I was surprised they both would choose a party over nursing their injured son, but I may have encouraged them to go since it allowed me to delay the meeting with Wentworth a bit longer.

The coward in me triumphed tonight.

They've left for the dinner and my nephew is asleep, leaving me awake to wonder what Wentworth must be feeling at the prospect of meeting me again. I assume he is indifferent. He is probably totally unaffected by my name. He could have reached out to me at any time during the past eight years and he didn't. Obviously he has moved on. He must have some small curiosity, though, right?



No comments :

Post a Comment