Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hard Truths

Louisa and Rietta came by today and happened to mention something that has been very helpful.

Lousia: Anne, you know we asked Wentworth what he thought of seeing you again, because Mary mentioned that you met him years ago, and, you know, he wasn't very nice!
Not Me! Photo by kroszka, filter by me

Me: oh really?

Rietta: That’s right! He said you had changed to so much he wouldn't have recognized you. Not a very polite thing to say.

Me: <mortification>

But really, I think it’s good to hear this.

Partly because it is true - I’m not the blooming youth I was when he and I met. While the years have added to his looks, they have only taken away from mine - I admit this; it’s how it generally is for men and women. I’m glad to hear this report, hearing his words sobers me up. All that wondering - is he thinking about me, is his being here reminding him of that time eight years ago - clearly the answer is that he has moved on, no warm feelings remain. And I have moved on too, really. I went on and lived my life, I hadn't really thought about him in years until all this. Now I feel like every blog entry I write is that of a gushing 16 year old. I’ll have to stop being silly and act like a grown up.

2 comments :

  1. That's a pretty harsh thing to say, and it was rude of him to not even acknowledge you when he stopped by the cottage. Hopefully he will be more civil towards you if you run into him again. Let the past be in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I excuse him for not saying anything to me at the cottage - I wasn't really able to exchange words myself.... but yeah, the words he reportedly said to Rietta & Louisa were harsh. Thanks for the words of support!

    ReplyDelete