Sunday, December 28, 2014

Just Another Guest

On entering my Dad’s new house, I was curious to know if Will and Elizabeth were starting a thing, but after being here for a few hours a more important concern came up for me…. A suspicion that something was going on between Dad and Clara, despite the enormous age gap. As I approached the dining room for breakfast today, I caught this exchange:

Beth: There is no reason, really Clara. I much prefer your company, in any case.

Dad: Dear Clara, you cannot go, you've seen nothing of Bath. You must not go now. You haven't even met Mrs. Wallis yet!

Something about the look on Dad’s face as he said this, and the look of gratification on Clara’s face at being encouraged to stay made me worry. Clara could not resist this pressure and so agreed to stay longer.

On the one hand, maybe I’m crazy and it’s nothing. On the other hand, why should I object if Dad wants to find a new partner, he’s allowed… just, not Clara. I can feel her maneuvering - she is after a comfortable situation in life and I don’t think she cares about any of us in the slightest. Imagine if they were to marry and she were to become the new head of the family! I comfort myself by remembering that my time living at home is temporary and I can escape when needed, should it come to that. Elizabeth seems completely oblivious to all of this, or else she is fine with it and is encouraging her friend by keeping her here. Interesting that they rented a place with enough bedrooms so both Clara and I can be here.

Lacy expressed the same concern to me about Clara being here and we talked about it, but what can I do? Is it even my place to interfere? I’m just another guest myself really. Possibly a less welcome one.

Deep musings for another time - I have to get ready – Dad and Elisabeth are having a small party tonight and I am expected to make an appearance.

No comments :

Post a Comment