Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Greedy

Not much to blog about. I’m basically spending every day at the reading program, helping out however I can, getting to know the kids and hearing from parents about what a difference the program has made. It’s all very motivating!

It’s not just reading, you know, kids in programs like these show improvement across the board usually. Imagine being a kid who isn't confident reading aloud - imagine the misery every day at school must hold, waiting in fear that you will be called on to read aloud?

 I’m still a bit nervous around the kids, worried I’ll say or do the wrong thing and cause a setback. I've gone through the training they give to all their mentors and tutors and it inspired me to pick up some new books on early childhood development so I can better understand what’s going on with the kids and how best to help.


It would be so amazing if I could get this project going and spend my days doing this - making this kind of positive impact on kids. I feel a bit greedy for wanting to be able to do something so awesome.

I came back from my volunteer session yesterday and tried to share my enthusiasm over dinner. Dad, Elizabeth, and Clara were too distracted by an invitation they'd just received for an afternoon brunch at Ms. Dalrymple's.  Apparently there is some concern over who else has been invited to the event and whether or not it would be advantageous to go. It was discussed at some length.

It's okay, I'll be visiting Alicia soon and I know she'll share my excitement, and in the meantime, I've got some reading to do so I just excuse myself when the conversation turns to social strategizing.

No comments :

Post a Comment