Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year

Happy New Year!!

Thank god all the stress over connecting with Ms. Dalrymple is over. Dad somehow arranged a lunch meeting on Dec 31 and we were accepted as social equals which apparently raises our standing in town considerably. Great.

So much fuss over such nonsense. If we were actually close relations, or if Ms. Dalrymple was an interesting person worth such agitation, maybe I could understand it - but how can you know that before you’ve met a person? All the fuss is all simply because she is ‘important’ socially. I find it embarrassing to see my family fall over themselves to get in with someone just because society says they are desirable to know. I expressed something along these lines to Will the other day when he was over:

Me: [insert various complaints about my family making a fuss over someone who isn’t worth a fuss]

Will: I will admit she is not particularly interesting or clever, but as a family connection and good company, she has value.

Me: Good company? I thought good company was clever, intelligent, caring people with good conversation skills and wit.

Will: Anne, that’s not good company, that’s the best. Good company only requires social standing and education, and actually, education is often negotiable. You’re shaking your head, you’re not satisfied.

Will, smiling and sitting down next to me: Is being this fastidious likely to make you happy? Wouldn’t it be wiser to accept the society of the Ms. Dalrymples of the world and enjoy the advantages of the connection? Through them you gain access to high society. And having your family - our families - known to be connected with them raises our status.

Me: Yes, we will be known to be related to them! I guess I have more pride than any of you - to be embarrassed that we have fallen over ourselves to be noticed by them when I’m sure they are totally indifferent about us. I’m too proud to enjoy the welcome of a society that depends entirely on place and connections.

Will: I love your indignation!

The end result of our efforts to get connected - we were invited to the Dalrymple NYE bash, which is apparently the shiniest event in town. Both Dad and Elizabeth were elated about this turn of events. Admittedly, it was a very elaborate party in a beautiful heritage home by the water, so I was a little bit excited myself (give me a chance to poke around a beautifully maintained heritage house and all my moral qualms disappear). 

As a reality check: at midnight I was holding back the hair of a young girl as she vomited up expensive champagne in the very fancy bathroom. It had wonderful marble and chrome detailing though, so thank goodness we fussed and got ourselves an in there!

Hope you all had an interesting start to your year!

1 comment :

  1. Happy New Year, Anne! I'm sure you'll have an excellent year! Glad you got out to celebrate (and the young drunk girl is lucky you were there to take care of her!).

    ReplyDelete