Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Unexpected

The Crofts are in Bath!

I was walking down to the waterfront walkway when I bumped into Mr. Croft himself! He was standing outside an art gallery window frowning at the painting on display. He was so absorbed in his study of it that I had to touch his arm to get his attention.

Mr. Croft: Well hello, Anne!  So nice to bump into you. I've been staring at this painting as I always do when I walk by this gallery.  Did you ever see anything like it?  I'm trying to decide what it is a painting of. Today I think maybe it's a boat, a very poorly designed boat. What do you say?

I was very curious to know if he had heard any news of Louisa and Ben. We walked together for some time while he told me why they were in Bath, how pleasant he finds it here since he has many friends in the area, how he and Mrs. Croft go for long walks together every day. Apparently they are too used to constant travel to be able to stay at their new home for long without setting off for someplace or other. Eventually, he hit on the subject I was trying to figure out a way to ask about:

Croft: You know, we’ve had very strange news from Wentworth; you’ll be surprised to hear! That young woman that Wentworth was seeing - I forget her name, one of the Musgroves, the very young one…”

Me: Lousia

Croft: Yes, Louisa, thank you. I’m terrible with women’s first names. Anyway, it seemed pretty clear that Wentworth liked the girl and they seemed to be getting on well by all reports. Wentworth certainly spent a lot of time up at that Lodge, as you know. We've just found out that Louisa is now dating Wentworth’s friend Mr. Wick instead! What do you think of that? The accident in Lyme seemed to throw everything into confusion. I guess Wentworth’s going away didn't help his case; he quite left the door ajar there and in waltzed Ben to take the prize!

Me: I hope there isn't anything in Wentworth’s tone that makes you think he feels betrayed by his friend? He and Ben seemed very close.

Croft: No! Sophy said Wentworth was calm as creme in relaying the news. No complaint at all. Wentworth is too sensible to be fussed by this - if the girl likes someone else better - she should have him. From Wentworth’s behaviour, you would think he never thought of the girl for himself, he said he thinks they will be happy together!

Me: That is good to hear.

Croft: Well, now Wentworth will have to start over again with a new girl! I wonder if we should get him to join us while we are here. There is no sense in him going to the Lodge again, I understand all the women there to be spoken for. I think I’ll talk to Sophy about getting him here for a visit.

So there you have it, Mary's gossip confirmed!

1 comment :

  1. First of all - I love bumping into people I know unexpectedly on the street, always makes my day. Secondly - interesting to hear Mary's news confirmed!!

    ReplyDelete